May 31, 2009

NYC Weekend



Yesterday was one of those perfect weather Saturdays that make me love New York City. I went to a crazy Pilates class taught by an ex-Vegas show-girl. Then I laid by the river with the roommates for an hour, which is definitely the best part about Hoboken. At 3, I went to the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Annex in SoHo because the limited time exhibit was John Lennon: The New York City Years. It was SO AWESOME. Even without the exhibit, the place was great. I'm a hard core 70's rock fan, and I was definitely born in the wrong decade. It makes me very jealous that my mom has seen all the great 70's bands in concert including Floyd, Zeppelin, Allman Brothers and The Who. Okay well she didn't actually get to see Pink Floyd but she was outside the stadium trying to sneak in..so I hear.
After that, my friend and I went to dinner at a deliciously cheap place. My whole dinner was about $7 including tip. As we were walking back to the subway, we noticed tons of people lining the streets and hundreds of cops. We asked what was going on and they said Obama was going to be driving down 6th Avenue. We waited for about 10 minutes and his entire entourage drove right past us. Apparently he was just having dinner with Michelle in the Village. It was exciting and everyone was cheering. These ladies behind me were practically crying because Michelle waved. 

Later that evening, the roommates and I went to the Lower East Side, realized we didn't fit in because we're too preppy, and then went to the Financial District. I never went out down there, and it's eerily quiet. No traffic, no one on the streets, but when we went into the bar, it was like going back in time and they were playing swing. It felt sort of like a speakeasy. A 68 year old man gave Steph $80 to make sure we got home safe... aka the use of his personal driver or something. I don't even know. But we did take a car home and sat in tunnel traffic for half an hour at 4 am. 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a perfect day I wanna live in new York nothing ever happens here. :(

    ReplyDelete